Thursday, August 5, 2010

My Next Year

Since I am getting antsy hanging around in the states for so long, I have decided that Peru would be a good way to cure my restlessness. I figured a blog would be the easiest (and coolest!) way to keep all my loved ones up to date on my adventures. Feel free to read it if you want and just ignore it if you're not interested.

I will be working with the Catholic Medical Mission Board (CMMB) as part of their Medical Volunteer Program. CMMB is a really great organization that helps to provide quality healthcare to everyone regardless of religion, race or socioeconomic status. If you have a minute, you should look at their website: http://cmmb.org/

September 17th or 18th, I will be moving to Chimbote, a city of about 300,000 about 260 miles (420 km) north of Lima, right on the coast. They are a fishing town known for their Ceviche. It sounds like I will have a variety of jobs from working with new moms to working with kids with disabilities and helping out in a clinic for people with chronic diseases. It will be a new challenge for me, but one that I am very much looking forward to.

As a way to help support my year abroad, CMMB asks that their volunteers help to raise funds to cover a portion of the cost. CMMB estimates that it costs about $15,000 to send a medical professional abroad for an entire year. This estimate includes medivac and hazard insurance, transportation to and from Peru, room and board and a small monthly stipend. My goal is to try and raise $5,000 to help cover the coast. I have set up a tribute page to make this easier: http://support.cmmb.org/goto/cathleensnextgrandadventure Anything in the form of prayers, good vibes, pennies, or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. The most important thing for me as I go on this trek will be the love and support of my family and friends. I know this is going to be a challenging, but hopefully rewarding, year.

If you have made it this far in my first post, I applaud you. Now comes the fun part. I need to figure out a name for said blog. So start suggesting!!

I will try to do my best to keep this updated as my departure date gets closer and I make the transition to Peruvian life.

No comments:

Post a Comment